Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.4% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 6,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ market rose by 6,572 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ unemployment rate is 38 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 7.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 457,900; +4,800
- Business Services: 382,600; +6,500
- Education & Healthcare: 359,700; +5,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 230,700; -400
- Government: 217,100; -1,600
- Financial Services: 216,300; +900
- Construction, Mining: 147,500; +800
- Manufacturing: 147,200; +2,000
- Other Jobs: 70,200; -400
- IT & Development: 43,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.