Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.4% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA market rose by 2,235 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.4%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA unemployment rate is 100 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is equal to the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 4.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 95,000; +800
- Education & Healthcare: 81,100; +1,100
- Business Services: 72,200; -700
- Government: 68,300; +1,300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 52,700; +300
- Financial Services: 40,000; -600
- Manufacturing: 34,200; no change
- Construction, Mining: 33,700; +600
- Other Jobs: 19,000; no change
- IT & Development: 11,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.