Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 2.1% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA market rose by 285 jobs in May and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA unemployment rate is 128 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 5.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 94,300; -200
- Education & Healthcare: 81,000; +100
- Business Services: 72,300; +300
- Government: 67,200; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 50,500; +1,000
- Financial Services: 41,400; +100
- Manufacturing: 34,100; -300
- Construction, Mining: 32,900; +200
- Other Jobs: 18,700; no change
- IT & Development: 11,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.