Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.7% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Olympia-Tumwater, WA market declined by 182 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 3.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Olympia-Tumwater, WA unemployment rate is 8 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 20.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.2%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 39,700; -300
- Transportation & Utilities: 19,000; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 18,600; -200
- Business Services: 13,200; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,300; +300
- Construction, Mining: 7,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,700; no change
- Financial Services: 4,100; no change
- Manufacturing: 3,400; no change
- IT & Development: 1,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.