Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.4% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Olympia-Tumwater, WA market rose by 939 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 4.4%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Olympia-Tumwater, WA unemployment rate is 61 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 15.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 39,600; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 18,900; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 18,700; no change
- Business Services: 13,400; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,100; -100
- Construction, Mining: 7,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,700; no change
- Financial Services: 4,100; no change
- Manufacturing: 3,400; no change
- IT & Development: 1,500; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.