Overall unemployment rate moved down to 5.0% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 2,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the New Orleans-Metairie, LA market rose by 3,371 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 5.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- New Orleans-Metairie, LA unemployment rate is 122 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 2.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 104,900; +500
- Education & Healthcare: 103,300; +1,000
- Business Services: 79,200; +2,000
- Restaurants & Hotels: 77,900; -200
- Government: 64,800; -600
- Construction, Mining: 33,700; +300
- Manufacturing: 29,900; +200
- Financial Services: 28,200; +100
- Other Jobs: 21,900; +200
- IT & Development: 8,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.