Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Muncie, IN market rose by 322 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Muncie, IN unemployment rate is 39 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 50 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in August versus prior month by -1.2% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.6% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 10,800; +800
- Education & Healthcare: 9,600; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,400; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,400; +100
- Manufacturing: 3,600; no change
- Financial Services: 2,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,800; -100
- Construction, Mining: 1,600; no change
- IT & Development: 300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.