Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA market rose by 297 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA unemployment rate is 42 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in July versus prior month by -8.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.8%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 11,600; -400
- Transportation & Utilities: 9,500; -100
- Manufacturing: 6,400; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,400; +200
- Construction, Mining: 4,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.