Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA market rose by 238 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 4.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA unemployment rate is 111 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in August versus prior month by -11.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.1%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 11,200; -500
- Transportation & Utilities: 9,800; +200
- Manufacturing: 6,400; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,300; -100
- Construction, Mining: 4,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.