Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Michigan City-La Porte, IN market declined by 41 jobs in March and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Michigan City-La Porte, IN unemployment rate is 15 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in March versus prior month by -3.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,300; -100
- Manufacturing: 7,800; no change
- Government: 6,500; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 5,900; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,500; no change
- Business Services: 2,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 1,900; +100
- Financial Services: 1,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,100; no change
- IT & Development: 200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.