Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Michigan City-La Porte, IN market declined by 149 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 4.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Michigan City-La Porte, IN unemployment rate is 52 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 5.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.7%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,200; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,800; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 5,900; no change
- Government: 5,600; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,800; +100
- Business Services: 2,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 2,100; no change
- Financial Services: 1,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,100; no change
- IT & Development: 200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.