Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Michigan City-La Porte, IN market declined by 661 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Michigan City-La Porte, IN unemployment rate is 1 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 70 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 9.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,200; -100
- Manufacturing: 7,800; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 5,900; no change
- Government: 5,800; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,800; no change
- Business Services: 2,900; +100
- Construction, Mining: 2,100; no change
- Financial Services: 1,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,100; no change
- IT & Development: 200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.