Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.0% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Michigan City-La Porte, IN market rose by 404 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 3.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Michigan City-La Porte, IN unemployment rate is 34 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 270 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in April versus prior month by -1.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,200; -100
- Manufacturing: 7,800; no change
- Government: 6,500; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 5,900; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,600; no change
- Business Services: 2,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 2,000; +200
- Financial Services: 1,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,100; no change
- IT & Development: 200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.