Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 2,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Memphis, TN-MS-AR market declined by 5,264 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 4.7%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Memphis, TN-MS-AR unemployment rate is 91 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 7.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 189,400; no change
- Business Services: 99,700; +1,300
- Education & Healthcare: 93,100; -1,100
- Government: 83,300; +2,800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 67,400; -1,900
- Manufacturing: 44,200; +100
- Financial Services: 29,500; +200
- Other Jobs: 28,200; +200
- Construction, Mining: 26,700; +300
- IT & Development: 5,500; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.