Overall unemployment rate moved down to 6.1% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX market rose by 1,364 jobs in October and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 6.1%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX unemployment rate is 270 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in October versus prior month by -1.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.1% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 89,900; +500
- Government: 61,700; +1,000
- Transportation & Utilities: 56,000; +800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 28,300; +200
- Business Services: 21,900; +400
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.