Overall unemployment rate moved up to 6.9% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX market declined by 715 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 6.9%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX unemployment rate is 352 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 230 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in May versus prior month by -2.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 85,700; +700
- Government: 62,500; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 54,700; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 27,800; +200
- Business Services: 20,900; +100
- Financial Services: 8,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 8,600; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,100; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,800; no change
- IT & Development: 2,900; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.