Overall unemployment rate moved down to 8.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 4,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX market declined by 1,701 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 8.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX unemployment rate is 422 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in July versus prior month by -0.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.2%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 87,000; +700
- Government: 56,500; -4,500
- Transportation & Utilities: 54,800; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 28,200; +200
- Business Services: 21,500; +100
- Financial Services: 8,900; +100
- Construction, Mining: 8,800; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,900; -100
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.