Overall unemployment rate moved down to 7.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX market declined by 1,203 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 7.7%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX unemployment rate is 391 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 140 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in August versus prior month by -1.6% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 86,500; -900
- Government: 58,300; +1,300
- Transportation & Utilities: 55,000; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 28,200; no change
- Business Services: 21,300; -300
- Financial Services: 8,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 8,700; -100
- Manufacturing: 7,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,900; no change
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.