Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Macon-Bibb County, GA market declined by 218 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Macon-Bibb County, GA unemployment rate is 54 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 190 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in April versus prior month by 0.4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.3%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 21,900; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,600; +100
- Government: 13,800; no change
- Business Services: 12,000; -400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,600; no change
- Financial Services: 9,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.