Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.7% with the biggest shift in Manufacturing, which lost 6,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN market declined by 5,574 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN unemployment rate is 8 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.6%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 154,800; -1,400
- Education & Healthcare: 100,300; +1,500
- Business Services: 94,800; -300
- Manufacturing: 74,900; -6,300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 69,500; -500
- Government: 65,600; -4,100
- Financial Services: 48,400; -100
- Construction, Mining: 30,900; +600
- Other Jobs: 23,300; -200
- IT & Development: 8,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.