Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Manufacturing, which gained 7,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN market rose by 7,060 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN unemployment rate is 69 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 8.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.3% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 157,200; +2,100
- Education & Healthcare: 103,100; +2,400
- Business Services: 94,500; no change
- Manufacturing: 82,600; +7,600
- Government: 70,500; +5,100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 68,000; -1,600
- Financial Services: 47,900; -600
- Construction, Mining: 31,500; +400
- Other Jobs: 23,800; +200
- IT & Development: 8,800; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.