Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.6% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which lost 9,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA market declined by 93,014 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 4.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA unemployment rate is 76 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 460 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 5.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 1,108,100; -9,200
- Transportation & Utilities: 1,097,200; +6,400
- Business Services: 984,300; +1,900
- Government: 737,100; +2,500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 724,000; +7,200
- Manufacturing: 473,400; +1,700
- Financial Services: 329,100; +2,200
- Construction, Mining: 261,600; -100
- IT & Development: 254,900; +600
- Other Jobs: 202,400; +1,200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.