Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which lost 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Lewiston-Auburn, ME market rose by 498 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Lewiston-Auburn, ME unemployment rate is 74 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 230 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 5.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 12,200; -300
- Transportation & Utilities: 9,900; +100
- Business Services: 6,100; no change
- Government: 5,700; +100
- Manufacturing: 5,400; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,500; +300
- Construction, Mining: 3,000; +100
- Financial Services: 2,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,600; +100
- IT & Development: 300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.