Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Lewiston-Auburn, ME market declined by 181 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Lewiston-Auburn, ME unemployment rate is 88 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 250 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 4.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 12,300; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 10,100; +100
- Business Services: 6,200; +100
- Manufacturing: 5,400; no change
- Government: 5,200; -500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,800; +200
- Construction, Mining: 3,100; +100
- Financial Services: 2,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,600; no change
- IT & Development: 300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.