Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which lost 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Lewiston-Auburn, ME market declined by 240 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Lewiston-Auburn, ME unemployment rate is 69 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 5.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 12,300; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 10,200; +100
- Business Services: 6,100; -100
- Manufacturing: 5,400; no change
- Government: 5,200; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,700; -100
- Construction, Mining: 3,100; no change
- Financial Services: 2,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,600; no change
- IT & Development: 300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.