Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.6% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 2,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Lansing-East Lansing, MI market declined by 305 jobs in October and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Lansing-East Lansing, MI unemployment rate is 20 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 30 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 10.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.7% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 63,700; +2,500
- Transportation & Utilities: 35,700; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 31,600; +300
- Business Services: 25,300; +300
- Manufacturing: 21,100; no change
- Financial Services: 18,000; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 17,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.