Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 3,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Lafayette-West Lafayette, IN market rose by 2,896 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 2.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Lafayette-West Lafayette, IN unemployment rate is 132 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 4.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 4.3% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 26,100; +3,800
- Manufacturing: 19,800; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 14,900; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 13,600; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,900; +200
- Business Services: 8,200; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.