Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 2,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Lafayette-West Lafayette, IN market rose by 2,876 jobs in February and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Lafayette-West Lafayette, IN unemployment rate is 184 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 7.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.6% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 26,500; +2,100
- Manufacturing: 19,400; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 15,100; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 13,200; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,200; +300
- Business Services: 8,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,100; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,800; no change
- Financial Services: 3,300; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.