Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.4% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Lafayette, LA market rose by 2,588 jobs in March and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Lafayette, LA unemployment rate is 35 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 200 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in March versus prior month by -1.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 40,700; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 32,900; -200
- Government: 26,000; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 21,900; +100
- Business Services: 21,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 21,100; +400
- Manufacturing: 14,900; +100
- Financial Services: 10,800; +100
- Other Jobs: 6,900; no change
- IT & Development: 2,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.