Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 2.2% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the La Crosse-Onalaska, WI-MN market declined by 344 jobs in May and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- La Crosse-Onalaska, WI-MN unemployment rate is 118 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 13.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.3%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 16,700; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 15,100; -300
- Government: 10,000; -300
- Manufacturing: 9,000; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,700; +200
- Business Services: 6,100; no change
- Financial Services: 4,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 2,900; no change
- IT & Development: 800; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.