Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the La Crosse-Onalaska, WI-MN market declined by 1,674 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 3.0%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- La Crosse-Onalaska, WI-MN unemployment rate is 84 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 70 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 2.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.6%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 16,600; -200
- Transportation & Utilities: 15,100; -100
- Manufacturing: 8,900; +100
- Government: 8,600; -1,400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,700; +100
- Business Services: 6,200; +100
- Financial Services: 4,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,000; +100
- IT & Development: 800; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.