Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the La Crosse-Onalaska, WI-MN market declined by 155 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- La Crosse-Onalaska, WI-MN unemployment rate is 114 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in April versus prior month by 6.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 16,900; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 15,500; +200
- Government: 10,300; +200
- Manufacturing: 8,800; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,400; no change
- Business Services: 6,100; +100
- Financial Services: 4,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 2,900; +100
- IT & Development: 700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.