Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Kingsport-Bristol-Bristol, TN-VA market declined by 11 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Kingsport-Bristol-Bristol, TN-VA unemployment rate is 32 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 40 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 2.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 24,000; -100
- Manufacturing: 20,800; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 17,900; +100
- Government: 15,800; +600
- Business Services: 13,900; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,400; +100
- Other Jobs: 5,700; no change
- Construction, Mining: 5,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.