Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 2,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Kalamazoo-Portage, MI market rose by 933 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Kalamazoo-Portage, MI unemployment rate is 48 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 10.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.1% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,000; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 25,300; +300
- Manufacturing: 24,100; no change
- Government: 19,200; +2,800
- Business Services: 17,400; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,900; -400
- Financial Services: 7,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 7,400; +100
- Other Jobs: 5,300; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.