Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.5% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Kalamazoo-Portage, MI market declined by 648 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 4.5%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Kalamazoo-Portage, MI unemployment rate is 72 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 12.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.9%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,000; -300
- Education & Healthcare: 25,000; -100
- Manufacturing: 24,000; +100
- Business Services: 17,300; -1,000
- Government: 16,200; -1,800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,300; +200
- Financial Services: 7,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 7,300; +100
- Other Jobs: 5,400; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.