Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Kalamazoo-Portage, MI market rose by 63 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Kalamazoo-Portage, MI unemployment rate is 41 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 12.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,700; -300
- Education & Healthcare: 25,000; no change
- Manufacturing: 24,000; no change
- Business Services: 17,400; +100
- Government: 16,400; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,300; no change
- Financial Services: 7,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 7,200; -100
- Other Jobs: 5,400; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.