Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.9% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina, HI market declined by 526 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 4.9%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina, HI unemployment rate is 106 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 340 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 4.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Restaurants & Hotels: 22,200; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 14,200; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 9,100; no change
- Government: 8,500; -100
- Business Services: 6,800; +100
- Construction, Mining: 4,200; +100
- Other Jobs: 3,200; no change
- Financial Services: 2,700; no change
- Manufacturing: 1,200; +100
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.