Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina, HI market rose by 1,512 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina, HI unemployment rate is 42 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 290 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 1.4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Restaurants & Hotels: 22,600; +500
- Transportation & Utilities: 14,400; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 9,400; +200
- Government: 8,400; -100
- Business Services: 6,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,000; -200
- Other Jobs: 3,100; no change
- Financial Services: 2,700; no change
- Manufacturing: 1,100; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.