Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Other Jobs, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina, HI market rose by 1,461 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina, HI unemployment rate is 11 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in August versus prior month by -1.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Restaurants & Hotels: 22,700; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 14,400; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 9,400; no change
- Government: 8,400; no change
- Business Services: 6,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,100; -100
- Other Jobs: 3,300; +200
- Financial Services: 2,700; no change
- Manufacturing: 1,100; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.