Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.1% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN market declined by 8,229 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 2.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN unemployment rate is 122 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 70 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in September versus prior month by -2.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 244,200; +1,200
- Business Services: 184,800; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 166,400; +900
- Government: 137,600; +1,900
- Restaurants & Hotels: 105,000; -1,100
- Manufacturing: 95,300; -200
- Financial Services: 77,900; +500
- Construction, Mining: 64,300; +1,500
- Other Jobs: 43,100; -700
- IT & Development: 12,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.