Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.6% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 3,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN market rose by 1,101 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN unemployment rate is 80 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 10 bps above the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a negative.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in October versus prior month by -1.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 247,300; +3,400
- Business Services: 186,600; +1,500
- Education & Healthcare: 167,100; +400
- Government: 138,900; +1,400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 104,000; -600
- Manufacturing: 94,900; -500
- Financial Services: 78,100; +400
- Construction, Mining: 66,300; +1,900
- Other Jobs: 41,600; -800
- IT & Development: 12,600; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.