Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 2.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 3,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN market rose by 10,219 jobs in March and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN unemployment rate is 125 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 200 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in March versus prior month by -1.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 238,400; -300
- Business Services: 181,600; +2,000
- Education & Healthcare: 166,300; +700
- Government: 137,300; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 102,400; +3,200
- Manufacturing: 94,100; +1,100
- Financial Services: 76,900; +1,000
- Construction, Mining: 57,600; +1,900
- Other Jobs: 42,900; +200
- IT & Development: 12,500; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.