Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 9,700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN market declined by 559 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN unemployment rate is 99 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 30 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in August versus prior month by -1.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 243,300; +2,500
- Business Services: 184,400; +1,100
- Education & Healthcare: 165,600; +3,000
- Government: 134,500; +9,700
- Restaurants & Hotels: 107,800; +1,400
- Manufacturing: 95,600; +500
- Financial Services: 77,900; -600
- Construction, Mining: 62,400; +900
- Other Jobs: 44,200; -1,100
- IT & Development: 12,500; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.