Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH market declined by 77 jobs in May and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH unemployment rate is 32 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 14.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 27,800; -300
- Transportation & Utilities: 24,200; -400
- Government: 23,500; +1,100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,900; +200
- Business Services: 13,600; -300
- Manufacturing: 10,900; -100
- Construction, Mining: 7,600; +100
- Financial Services: 4,500; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,400; no change
- IT & Development: 1,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.