Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.6% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH market declined by 711 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 4.6%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH unemployment rate is 82 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 12.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.8%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 28,600; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 24,200; no change
- Government: 19,600; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,000; no change
- Business Services: 13,900; -300
- Manufacturing: 11,100; +100
- Construction, Mining: 7,500; -100
- Financial Services: 4,600; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,400; no change
- IT & Development: 1,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.