Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 4.6% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH market declined by 1,463 jobs in August and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH unemployment rate is 81 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 40 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 11.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs stayed flat. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 28,800; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 24,000; -100
- Government: 20,600; +1,000
- Business Services: 13,900; -300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,400; -600
- Manufacturing: 11,200; +100
- Construction, Mining: 7,400; -200
- Financial Services: 4,600; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,300; no change
- IT & Development: 1,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.