Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 19,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX market rose by 15,777 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX unemployment rate is 88 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 3.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 661,700; -7,200
- Business Services: 537,200; +3,100
- Education & Healthcare: 438,100; no change
- Government: 430,600; +19,400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 361,400; +4,800
- Construction, Mining: 308,600; -3,200
- Manufacturing: 227,300; -600
- Financial Services: 175,600; +500
- Other Jobs: 112,800; -2,100
- IT & Development: 32,300; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.