Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 4.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 19,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX market rose by 3,290 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX unemployment rate is 102 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 6.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs stayed flat. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 674,200; +5,200
- Business Services: 531,100; +5,900
- Education & Healthcare: 435,700; +3,100
- Government: 412,500; -19,000
- Restaurants & Hotels: 354,100; -1,400
- Construction, Mining: 311,600; +4,500
- Manufacturing: 227,900; +2,200
- Financial Services: 172,900; +500
- Other Jobs: 114,700; -400
- IT & Development: 32,300; +300
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.