Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Houma-Thibodaux, LA market rose by 121 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Houma-Thibodaux, LA unemployment rate is 8 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 15.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs stayed flat. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 21,800; +100
- Government: 10,000; +100
- Construction, Mining: 9,800; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,800; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.