Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.3% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Houma-Thibodaux, LA market rose by 132 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 4.3%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Houma-Thibodaux, LA unemployment rate is 46 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 200 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 21% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.2%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 22,000; +700
- Construction, Mining: 9,900; -200
- Government: 9,800; -600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.